Saturday, January 15, 2011

Arrived in Ottawa!!

Today was a travel day….up very early…4:00 am and off to the airport…couldn’t believe how busy the airport is at that time of day…where is everybody going at that time of day?  I hugged my wife  goodbye…she’s off to Hawaii with her parents and sister…and boarded my plane.  I had a  great flight into Ottawa and arrived in the midst of another blizzard…felt right at home!!!
My hotel is very cozy and just off the outskirts of downtown, so after getting checked in and settled, I ventured out in the snow and walked downtown to grab a bite to eat.  My hotel is about 12 blocks away from the Parliament buildings, so I wandered over and got a couple of great pictures!  On Monday, I will be taking a tour of the entire parliament buildings with our local MP Earl Dreeshen’s executive assistant…can’t wait!!
I walked downtown and ended up in the Byward Market…and stopped in at the same French Bakery that Obama visited when he came to Canada…I know why he stopped there…it was fabulous…too much selection, so I ended up bringing some back to my hotel.  Might get hungry later…LOL!
Tomorrow, I plan to tour the Canadian War Museum and the Royal Canadian Mint.  (being a banker and all, I figured I should drop by…maybe they will be giving out samples!!
As I finish my blog for today, I realize how our world is both so large and yet so small at the same time.  This morning, three families began their day as neighbours in Calgary and by this afternoon we were all spread out between Arizona, Hawaii, and Ottawa.  That blows my mind…and then to top it off, I talked to great friends of ours in Africa…for free…on the computer…technology makes it such a small world.  (as I write this blog, I am listening to our local Red Deer Radio station…CRAZY!!)  I am excited to experience the vastness of our world, and yet, I already have a new appreciation for those who are so far away from their family and friends for an extended period of time! 
I hope to Skype with my wife later tonight and hear how her adventure went as well.
Thanks for checking out my blog...I will post more tomorrow.
Stewart


No comments:

Post a Comment